Find Information and research on Philadelphia, the Tourism Industry in Philadelphia, recent news about the City, and the impact of the PHLCVB
FACTS AT YOUR FINGERTIPS
Research + Resources
Information and research about the tourism industry, the region and the impact of conventions and visitors on the Philadelphia.
PHLCVB Annual Report
PHLCVB is "Working Globally to Impact Locally."
Smart City. Smart Choice.
Philadelphia is a Smart City and the Smart Choice for businesses.
Philadelphia Brag List
Check out this list of accolades - Bests, Firsts, facts about the food scene, hotels, shopping, attractions and more – all reasons to brag about the City of Brotherly Love.
Philadelphia is one of the leading cities in the world. Located in between New York City and Washington D.C., 40% of the U.S. population is within a day’s drive.
- 1,536,471 population (2011 Census)
- 3rd most populous downtown in the U.S
- 46 million people live in a 200-mile radius of the City
- 13th most internationally-visited city in the nation
- 101 colleges & universities in the region
- Within a 200-mile radius of Greater Philadelphia is a GDP, equivalent to the world’s 5th largest economy
- 38.5 million total visitors in 2011 (Source: Tourism Economics)
- #12 in international visitation, 613,000 total international visitors in 2011 (Source: US Dept. of Commerce/Office of Travel + Tourism Industries)
- Fastest-growing destination for international travelers among the top 20 U.S. markets.
- Every 33 overseas travelers creates one new American job. (Source: US Travel Association)
Hotels in Center City
Philadelphia’s downtown, known as Center City, is one of the most accessible, compact tourism and convention areas in the nation. The number of hotel rooms close to the Pennsylvania Convention Center are:
- 3,600 hotel rooms within a two-minute walk
- 6,400 hotel rooms within a 10-minute walk
- 8,500 hotel rooms within a 15-minute walk
- 10,700 hotel rooms within a 10-minute drive
- 17,200-plus hotel rooms within a 30-minute drive
Traveling to Philadelphia
- 1 hour and 20 minutes from New York City via Amtrak’s Acela Express line
- 1 hour and 45 minutes from Washington, D.C. via Amtrak’s Acela Express line
- 30 airlines provide 700 daily departures to more than 120 cities, including 52 daily nonstop flights to 31 international destinations
The region is particularly strong in a number of knowledge-based industry sectors, including Life Sciences, Chemicals, Financial Services and Information Technology. In fact, the region’s Life Sciences sector was ranked #2 in the nation by the Milken Institute in 2009.
The Greater Philadelphia region is the BASE FOR OVER 100 FORTUNE 500 COMPANIES located within a 200-mile radius of the City.