PHL Sports annual events calendar: Major activities in Philadelphia each year as part of the activities of PHL Sports, a division of the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau. Philadelphia hosts a number of major events every year, ranging across some of the nation’s and world’s most popular sports. Take a look at some of the biggest and longest running below.
PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL CRICKET FESTIVAL
- Late April – Early May
- The first weekend in May, 18 Cricket Teams comprising more than 200 players representing 16 nationals arrive in Philadelphia for four days of cricketing annually. The Final takes place at the Philadelphia Cricket Club and members of the public are invited to delight in the timeless game of Cricket.
- Learn more at www.cricketfestival.com
BROAD STREET RUN
- May 7
- Broad Street, one of the busiest streets in Philadelphia, closes the first Sunday in May each year for the 10-mile Broad Street Run. This event marks Philadelphia’s official start to the running season. More than 40,000 runners participate each year in the competition, named one of the fastest 10-mile courses in the country by Runner’s World.
- Learn more at broadstreetrun.com.
DAD VAIL REGATTA
- May 12-13
- One of the oldest (since 1961) and largest collegiate regattas in the country, the 2,000-meter race is held on the Schuylkill River annually. The Dad Vail draws more than 100 colleges and universities from the United States and Canada and is held during the second weekend in May.
- Learn more at dadvail.org.
RADNOR HUNT RACES
- May 20
- More than just a day at the races, the spring tradition of steeple-chasing at the Radnor Hunt features six exciting races. The Radnor Hunt Races are a tradition going back more than eight decades in the Philadelphia region.
- Learn more at radnorraces.org.
DEVON HORSE SHOW
- May 25 – June 4
- The largest and oldest outdoor multi-breed competition in the United States, the Devon Horse Show draws competitors and spectators from around the world. This 10-day horse and carriage show with a country fair atmosphere continues a tradition going back more than 110 years.
- Learn more at thedevonhorseshow.com.
PHILLY CYCLING CLASSIC
- More than 160 of the world’s top professional cyclists descend on Philadelphia to race in highest rated one-day professional cycling event in the USA. Hundreds of thousands of spectators line the 14.4-mile course as cyclists complete 10 laps of the circuit throughout Philadelphia, including the infamous Manayunk Wall.
- Learn more at phillycyclingclassic.org.
INDEPENDENCE DRAGON BOAT REGATTA
- June 3
- Since 2007, under the direction and management of the Philadelphia Dragon Boat Association, the IDBR introduces, coaches and races teams of 20 novice or experienced paddlers in a three-heat Dragon Boat Regatta (500-Meter Distance). Paddlers from near and far have come to Philadelphia to join us in this day-long, family-friendly event.
- Learn more at phillydragonboat.com.
- June 24-25
- Dubbed “worthy of cult status” by Triathlon Magazine, the Philadelphia Triathlon has grown to one of the nation’s best. More than 2,000 registered participants take part each June.
- Learn more at phillytri.com.
COOPER MASTERS REGATTA
- Hosted by the Cooper River Rowing Club, The Cooper Masters Regatta consists of a 1k along the Cooper River, the site of many of the Mater National races. Held at the end of June, this race features fierce competition from both men and women and makes for a great experience for spectators.
- Learn more at cooperrowingclub.org.
PHILADELPHIA CLASSIC REGATTA SERIES
- March through November
- Uniting 22 regattas held annually on the Schuylkill River, the Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series runs from March through November and includes three of the largest regattas in the United States: Stotesbury Cup Regatta with 5,500 competitors, Head of the Schuylkill Regatta with 5,100 participants and the Philadelphia Scholastic Rowing Association Championship with 2,500.
- Learn more at Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series.
PHILADELPHIA ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HALF MARATHON
- September 17
- Held each September (but delayed this year for the papal visit), one of the country’s premier half-marathons captures more than 15,000 registered participants each year. 100,000 spectators line up along the beautiful course in Fairmount Park’s River drives. Live music entertains along the half-marathon course to give it a unique touch.
- Learn more at runphilly.com.
PHILADELPHIA DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL
- October 7
- The world’s fastest growing water sport is also the most exciting. Twenty paddlers move in unison, combining strength with teamwork in a boat whose elaborate design originates in ancient China. Dragon Boat Racing is a great sport for men and women of all ages and abilities. Anyone can do it and have fun!
- Learn more at philadragonboatfestival.com.
- November 19
- Named the best qualifier to get you to the Boston Marathon by Running USA, the Philadelphia Marathon is one of the fastest courses in the country. Held each year in mid-November with more than 8,500 participants, the marathon is a great way to see America’s Most Historic Mile while making some history of your own.
- Learn more at philadelphiamarathon.com