Whether you’re looking to grab a seat with a view on Rittenhouse Square, spend some time at a beer-centric gastropub or choose among one of the city’s more than 200 BYOB (Bring Your Own Bottle) storefront-style restaurants, affordable fine dining is easy to find in Philadelphia. Here’s a round up of the top bars and restaurants perfect for day or night.
- Lacroix: Located at the Rittenhouse Hotel this restaurant pairs globally inspired cuisine with an equally inspiring view over the treetops of the square. Savor imaginative fare such as parsnip and pear soup and diver scallops in sunflower seed mole or choose their classic bacon burger.
- Parc: Stephen Starr’s bustling bistro fronting the square is perfect for people watching. The look of the restaurant is straight out of Paris, as is the menu of French staples such as steak frites, onion soup gratinée and salade lyonnaise.
- The Dandelion: This restaurant offers up fish and chips and other British-style pub fare. Sip a pint of English bitter or a rye-based Iron Lady cocktail on a comfy sofa, or claim a table in one of the intimate rooms making up this multi-level establishment.
- Piazza at Schmidts: A former brewery in Northern Liberties, this area features nearly 40 hip restaurants and shops clustered around a central square.
For an authentic Philly cheesesteak, stop in at Campo’s Deli @ Market Street in Old City, Jim’s Steaks on South Street and South Philadelphia’s Pat’s King of Steaks.
- Brauhaus Schmitz: A German-style bar/restaurant with a seasonal outdoor garden, offering a long list of German, Europe an and American craft brews, as well as a Bavarian menu.
- McGillin’s Olde Ale House: An Irish pub that dates to 1860 and boasts a wide selection of local and craft beers.
- Oyster House: This spot updates the traditional Philly seafood house with its raw bar and popular fried oysters and chicken salad.
- DiNardo’s Famous Crabs: A staple in Old City, this is the place for steamed crabs served “hot and dirty” or sauteed with garlic.
- Morimoto: This restaurant is the place to be for imaginative sushi and sashimi from Iron Chef Masaharu Morimoto.
- Melograno: Just blocks from Rittenhouse Square, this is a simple but elegant trattoria that features delicious regional Italian cooking.
- Moshulu: This unique dinner spot is actually a four-masted sailing ship with outdoor dining on deck. Docked at Penn’s Landing, the Moshulu features a menu ranging from sushi and house-made salumi to lobster bisque and crab cakes.
- Spirit of Philadelphia: Another dinner option on the water, Spirit of Philadelphia features a regular schedule of dinner cruises, as well as moonlight outings and themed trips for holidays and other occasions.
- R2L: This is an upscale American restaurant-bar located on the 37th floor of Two Liberty Place in Center City and offers breathtaking, panoramic city views. Signature dishes include truffle flatbread and chef Daniel Stern’s veal stew.