Historic Strawberry Mansion, forerly known as "Summerville", was built in 1789 by Judge William Lewis, a well-known lawyer and abolitionist, as a summer home along the Schuylkill River. In 1825, its second owner, Judge Joseph Hemphill added the first of two Greek-revival style wings to the home. The structure of the house remains largely unchanged to this day, and has become one of the most celebrated historic houses in Philadelphia. Built and expanded in both the Federal and Empire periods, the Mansion houses antiques, fine art and collectables from the 18th & 19th century. In 1930, in an effort to celebrate the magnificence of the extraordinary home, the Committee of 1926, a group pf public-spirited women, restored Historic Strawberry Mansion and opened it to the public as an historic house museum the following year. Today, the Mansion is open to public for tours, and is also available for use as a private events space.
Distance from Independence Visitor Center: 3.69 miles
Distance from Sister Cities Visitor Center: 2.81 miles
Distance from Pennsylvania Convention Center: 3.26 miles