Having successfully hosted Pope Francis and the World Meeting of Families Congress in 2015, the Democratic National Convention in 2016 and the NFL Draft in 2017, Philadelphia is one of the most sought-after event destinations in the world. With more than 12,000 hotel rooms – most of them near the Pennsylvania Convention Center – Philadelphia has an extensive assortment of hotel brands that offer a wide variety of event venues.
Philadelphia is experiencing a hotel expansion and room supply in Center City is expected to increase 15 percent by 2019. The newest hotel to open is the Cambria Hotel Philadelphia Downtown, located on the Avenue of the Arts.
Philadelphia was cited in 2017 by Redfin as one of the top most walkable cities in the U.S. and most hotels are within walking distance to all of the city’s most popular attractions.
• Cambria Hotel Philadelphia Downtown, at 219 S. Broad Street, features 15 floors with 222 rooms, a rooftop restaurant and bar (the only rooftop restaurant and bar on Broad Street). The hotel also has art by Philadelphia-based artist and illustrator Hawk Krall, over 1,700 square feet of multi-function meeting space, a business center, and a state-of-the-art fitness center.
• Aloft Philadelphia Downtown offers direct access to the Pennsylvania Convention Center with 179 rooms in the restored, historic Liberty Title & Trust building at Broad and Arch Streets. The HRI Lodging –managed hotel has a bar and 1,200 square feet of function and event space, including the W XYZ bar and outdoor terrace with live music. Innovative amenities include 50” flat-screen TVs with laptop hookup, ChatBotlr, a new chatbot available via text message that gives guests an additional way to make service requests, and SPG Keyless, a new keyless entry program that lets guests unlock their rooms via their smartphone.
• The AKA University City at the FMC Tower opened in early 2017 and is a luxury AKA extended stay property, equipped with 103 units, offering spectacular views of the city from all floors. Amenities include an outdoor terrace with fire pits, lounge, business center facilities, and a private screening room, plus “Cira Green,” a one-acre elevated urban park offering an array of cultural arts events.
• The Study at University City opened in early 2017 featuring 212 rooms, approximately 7,000-square-feet of banquet/conference space, a 105-seat corner restaurant and bar and a state-of-the-art fitness center.
• Best Western Plus Philadelphia Convention Center Hotel opened in early 2017 with 93 rooms, in an Art Moderne building that previously served as a film-storage facility on the northern edge of Chinatown near 13th and Vine Streets.
• Fairfield Inn and Suites Philadelphia Downtown Center City is coming online in April 2018 in the Washington Square West neighborhood. The 119-roomed hotel will offer free Wi-Fi, ample workspaces and complimentary breakfast, pool and fitness center.
• The Four Seasons Hotel Philadelphia at the Comcast Technology Center is coming online in fall 2018 with sweeping views of the city atop the brand new state-of-the-art Comcast Technology Center skyscraper. Located on the 48th to 60th floors of what will become the tallest building in Philadelphia at 1121 feet (342 meters), the hotel will have 219 modern guest rooms, 38 suites, extensive corporate meeting facilities and event spaces, an infinity pool, a restaurant and lounge on the top floor with 360 views of the city, and a ground floor restaurant.
• Mainstay/Ascend Hotel will open in 2019 in Philadelphia’s Chinatown with 118 rooms, just steps from the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
• W Hotel comes online in 2019. The 51 story hotel offers 295 rooms, an outdoor terrace totaling 7,000 square feet with a year-round heated pool and bar.
• Element Hotel comes online in 2019. The 460 room hotel features 560 square feet of meeting space.
• The 13-story Centric Hotel by Hyatt, coming online in 2019, will feature 310 stylish guestrooms, 40 spacious and modern executive suites and a rooftop garden in the Rittenhouse square area.
The Hyatt at The Bellevue has rebranded the historic Philadelphia property as The Bellevue Hotel and is now part of The Unbound Collection by Hyatt portfolio. The Philadelphia property is the first in the Northeast region to be a part of the upper-upscale and luxury property designation. The Bellevue Hotel has been one of Philadelphia’s most iconic destinations since 1904 and underwent a multi-million dollar renovation in 2016. The property offers 172 guest rooms including 16 suites, over 30,000 square feet of flexible function space including the Rose Garden Ballroom, and the Grand Ballroom which features original lighting designed by Thomas Edison, and the celebrated marble and hand-worked iron elliptical staircase.
Updated April 27, 2018
The Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau (PHLCVB) is the primary sales and marketing agency for the Pennsylvania Convention Center. 1-855-MEET-PHL.