PHL Sports annual events calendar: Major activities in Philadelphia each year as part of the activities of PHL Sports, a division of the Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau. Philadelphia hosts a number of major events every year, ranging across some of the nation’s and world’s most popular sports. Take a look at some of the biggest and longest running below.
- Every Spring
- In its 125 year history, the Penn Relays provide competition for more collegiate athletes than any other track meet in the world. During the past 10 years, more than 150,000 young men and women from the around the world have competed in the event. Three days of track and field competitions are held over the last weekend in April at Franklin Field on the campus of the University of Pennsylvania. www.thepennrelays.com
- Learn more at thepennrelays.com.
PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL CRICKET FESTIVAL
- Late April – Early May each year
- The first weekend in May, 18 Cricket Teams comprising more than 200 players representing 16 nationals arrive in Philadelphia for four days of cricketing annually. The Final takes place at the Philadelphia Cricket Club and members of the public are invited to delight in the timeless game of Cricket.
- Learn more at www.cricketfestival.com
BROAD STREET RUN
- Every May
- Broad Street, one of the busiest streets in Philadelphia, closes the first Sunday in May each year for the 10-mile Broad Street Run. This event marks Philadelphia’s official start to the running season. More than 40,000 runners participate each year in the competition, named one of the fastest 10-mile courses in the country by Runner’s World.
- Learn more at broadstreetrun.com.
DAD VAIL REGATTA
- Every May
- One of the oldest (since 1961) and largest collegiate regattas in the country, the 2,000-meter race is held on the Schuylkill River annually. The Dad Vail draws more than 100 colleges and universities from the United States and Canada and is held during the second weekend in May.
- Learn more at dadvail.org.
The Philadelphia Coaches Conference
- Every May
- The Philadelphia Coaches Conference is an annual collaborative event organized “for coaches by coaches” in an effort to bring together aspiring coaches of all levels and in a variety of sports for the purpose of professional development and growth through a series of educational sessions led by a diverse group of experienced and knowledgeable coaches.
- Learn more at TheCoachesConference.com.
RADNOR HUNT RACES
- Every May
- More than just a day at the races, the spring tradition of steeple-chasing at the Radnor Hunt features six exciting races. The Radnor Hunt Races are a tradition going back more than eight decades in the Philadelphia region.
- Learn more at radnorraces.org.
DEVON HORSE SHOW
- Late May-Early June each year
- The largest and oldest outdoor multi-breed competition in the United States, the Devon Horse Show draws competitors and spectators from around the world. This 10-day horse and carriage show with a country fair atmosphere continues a tradition going back more than 110 years.
- Learn more at thedevonhorseshow.com.
PENN MUTUAL- COLLEGIATE RUGBY CHAMPIONSHIP
- May 31st – June 2nd at Talen Energy Stadium
- The Penn Mutual Collegiate Rugby Championship, is a college rugby sevens tournament held every June at Talen Energy Stadium in Philadelphia. The CRC is the highest profile college rugby sevens competition in the United States.
- Learn more at www.sevensrugby.com/college.
INDEPENDENCE DRAGON BOAT REGATTA
- Every June
- Since 2007, under the direction and management of the Philadelphia Dragon Boat Association, the IDBR introduces, coaches and races teams of 20 novice or experienced paddlers in a three-heat Dragon Boat Regatta (500-Meter Distance). Paddlers from near and far have come to Philadelphia to join us in this day-long, family-friendly event.
- Learn more at phillydragonboat.com.
COOPER MASTERS REGATTA
- Every June
- Hosted by the Cooper River Rowing Club, The Cooper Masters Regatta consists of a 1k along the Cooper River, the site of many of the Mater National races. Held at the end of June, this race features fierce competition from both men and women and makes for a great experience for spectators.
- Learn more at cooperrowingclub.org.
PHILADELPHIA CLASSIC REGATTA SERIES
- March through November each year
- Uniting 22 regattas held annually on the Schuylkill River, the Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series runs from March through November and includes three of the largest regattas in the United States: Stotesbury Cup Regatta with 5,500 competitors, Head of the Schuylkill Regatta with 5,100 participants and the Philadelphia Scholastic Rowing Association Championship with 2,500.
- Learn more at Philadelphia Classic Regatta Series.
PHILADELPHIA ROCK ‘N’ ROLL HALF MARATHON
- Every September
- For years runners have been taking to the streets of Philadelphia to run this fast, flat course that is known as one of the country’s premier half-marathons. while the American Association for Cancer Research Rock ‘n’ Roll Philadelphia Half Marathon will be celebrating its 8th year in 2018, it will actually be the 41st continuous running of the race that was known as the Philadelphia Distance Run prior to 2010.
- Learn more at runrocknroll.com/Philadelphia.
PHILADELPHIA DRAGON BOAT FESTIVAL
- Every October
- The world’s fastest growing water sport is also the most exciting. Twenty paddlers move in unison, combining strength with teamwork in a boat whose elaborate design originates in ancient China. Dragon Boat Racing is a great sport for men and women of all ages and abilities. Anyone can do it and have fun!
- Learn more at philadragonboatfestival.com.
INTERNATIONAL UNITY CUP CHAMPIONSHIP GAME
- Every October
- Saturday, October 13th @ Talen Energy Stadium, home of the Philadelphia Union
- A World Cup-style tournament held over several months, the Philadelphia International Unity Cup unites the city’s neighborhoods and celebrates its diverse immigrant communities through soccer. The brainchild of Mayor Jim Kenney, the Unity Cup became an annual tradition after its massively successful inaugural year in 2016.
- Learn more at philadelphiaunion.com/philadelphia-international-unity-cup-2018.
- Every November
- Named the best qualifier to get you to the Boston Marathon by Running USA, the Philadelphia Marathon is one of the fastest courses in the country. Held each year in mid-November with more than 8,500 participants, the marathon is a great way to see America’s Most Historic Mile while making some history of your own.
- Learn more at philadelphiamarathon.com