There’s some major fun to be had at various theme parks in and around Philadelphia. Kids of all ages will have a blast at any of these amusement parks made just for them.
- Sesame Place: F is for fun and the thrills are guaranteed for any Sesame Street fan. Located just 30 minutes north of Philadelphia, this theme park boasts both an indoor and outdoor area to maximize your family’s summer. Indoor, there are 18 rides including Cookie Mountain, Elmo’s Cloud Chaser and Big Bird’s Balloon Race. Outside, kids will love splashing around the waterpark, sliding on Bert and Ernie’s Slip and Slide, running around the Count’s Splash Castle and for the little ones, wading in the Teeny Tiny Tidal Wave. There are a number of shows occurring through the day, with a day and night Neighborhood Street Party Parade featuring everyone’s favorite Sesame Street characters. Cap the day off with some blue treats from the Cookie’s Café or enjoy dinner at Grover’s Island Grill. Open seven days a week. Single day tickets start at $59.99.
- Crayola Experience: Embrace your creativity at the interactive Crayola Experience, which is celebrating their grand re-opening on May 26th! Newly renovated, the Crayola Experience is four floors of fun with new and exciting features such as a “Pick Your Pack” wall at the Crayola store where shoppers can choose from over 100 crayon colors to create their own custom crayon box. There is also Marker Mania, where kids can create their own marker, plus take a picture at the photo booth, learn how crayons are made and slide down a unique crayon box slide. Open seven days a week. Single day tickets range from $13.99 to $15.99.
- Dutch Wonderland: 2013 marks the 50th anniversary of Dutch Wonderland, and on June 1st there will be a huge ceremony, including fireworks to commemorate this special event. Located in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country, about 1.5 hours away from Philadelphia, Dutch Wonderland has over 30 rides for kids of all ages. Try the Panda Party, Wonder Whip and the Turtle Whirl, plus you can take a tranquil, self-guided gondola ride through the colorful botanical garden. In the summer, there is a large water play area featuring slides, jets, a water tipping bucket and a palm-treed lounging area for parents. For a mid-day treat, guests can cool off and make their own slushy at The Slush Shack, or stop in for a Mexican lunch at the Three Amigos restaurant. Open April to October. Single day tickets range from $23.75 to $36.75.
- Sahara Sam’s Oasis Indoor Water Park: Located in New Jersey, this must-experience-to-believe waterpark is only a 30-minute drive from Philadelphia. May 25, 2013 will mark the grand opening of the park’s outdoor facilities, including the 12,000 square foot Rip ‘N Rool Wave Pool, the Splish Splash Adventure Land for the little ones and a Wipe Out Tiki Bar (serving chilled tropical drinks and beer) for the adults. Inside, guests will find the Toddler’s Lizard Lagoon, the Indoor Surfing Simulator and the daring Super Fast 350-foot Body Slide. Indoor pool is open all year long. Outdoor pool opens May 25. Tickets range from $20.95 to $32.95.
- Speed Raceway: Channel your inner need for speed at the largest electric race kart racing facility on the east coast. Located about 45 minutes north of Philadelphia, Speed Raceway makes for a thrilling afternoon of racing. After completing your mandatory safety training, racers can then compete against other visitors in their own electric Italian go kart on one of two Formula One-inspired tracks. At the end of your race, you’ll get an official results sheet, which shows all race results and a number of cool statistics about your race. The Speed Raceway is opened Tuesdays to Sundays. Cost is $20 per race (12 to 14 laps).