Philadelphia: The Cradle of Liberty
Philadelphia is where the American Dream was founded. It’s where courageous visionaries crafted the model for modern-day democracy that inspires people globally to embrace the power of their individuality and our human potential.
Philadelphia is home to iconic locations and artifacts that tell the story of America’s birth in a way no other place can match.
Within one square mile, visitors will find all of the below and more:
- Independence Hall, a UNESCO World Heritage Site that changed the world when the fathers of our nation used the location to debate and adopt both the Declaration of Independence and U.S. Constitution.
- The Liberty Bell, a symbol of freedom that predates our nation’s birth. Legend holds it sustained its trademark crack when it was rung to announce the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
- The Museum of the American Revolution explores the dynamic story of the American Revolution using its rich collection of Revolutionary-era artifacts, personal items, letters, diaries and works of art.
- The President’s House, where both George Washington and John Adams spent most of their presidencies before the White House was built in Washington, D.C.
- The National Constitution Center, an interactive museum dedicated to the document on which our nation was founded, and the impact different interpretations of the document have had on the nation and world since it was adopted in 1789. Hamilton: The Constitutional Clashes That Shaped a Nation an exhibit that explores Alexander Hamilton’s fraught relationships with James Madison, Thomas Jefferson, John Adams, and Aaron Burr, provides an intimate look into the founding father’s enduring role in the constitutional and political arguments that continue to create sparks to this day, through December 31, 2018.
- Carpenter’s Hall, the meeting place of the First Continental Congress in 1774. The seeds of the American Revolution were planted here when delegates from 12 of the 13 colonies agreed to boycott British imports.
The Philadelphia Convention & Visitors Bureau (PHLCVB) is the official tourism promotion agency for the City of Philadelphia globally and the primary sales and marketing agency for the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
Updated May 17, 2018